Hi! I’m Kim. Thanks for taking the time to visit and find out more about me.
Shiplap and Shells is a blog about my home, garden, and our Pacific Northwest lifestyle.
I live in a small beach cottage on the Puget Sound with my husband and sweet pups, Jax, and Ollie. We have spent the last 10 years, renovating, reinventing, and adding character and charm to our 102-year-old home.
And now I’m able to share our “forever” home with you on my blog and on Instagram.
I’ve always had a passion for home decor and creating warm and cozy spaces. But my real love is my cottage-style garden. I really stepped up my game when we built a greenhouse and raised beds over 5 years ago.
Now I grow my own flowers and veggies from seed. Not bad for a girl who knew nothing about gardening when we moved in 10 years ago. Other than pulling a weed or planting annuals in a window box, I was clueless.
I’m a self-taught hobby gardener who is having the time of her life! And if I can inspire someone, or pass on a gardening tip or two along the way…even better! I even have my own Facebook gardening tips and tricks group.
The Dream of Being in a Magazine
The picture above was taken by my husband during a Better Homes and Gardens Cottage Style Magazine & Country Home Magazine photoshoot in the garden.
I started my Shiplap and Shells Instagram account in March 2019 in the hopes that someday a magazine would find it and put my home and garden in one of their issues.
There’s no way I could have ever expected to be in 4 magazines by June 2021. It has been the biggest dream come true.
- Cottages and Bungalows Magazine – Fall 2020
- Seattle Refined TV Show – June 2020
- Better Homes and Gardens Cottage Style Magazine – Spring/Summer 2021
- Country Home Magazine – Summer 2021
- The Cottage Journal, Vintage Cottage – 2021
Boating Around the Puget Sound
When we’re not at home, we’re exploring the Puget Sound on our boat. I think of our boat as our second home.
We especially love the San Juan Islands in Washington State and Victoria, B.C. Canada.
Jax and Ollie
If you haven’t already figured out, I am a proud and happy dog mom to 2 amazing pups. Jax, our sweet little rescue who may have terrier and Havanese in him, is 6-years-old. Ollie is a Havanese and is our newest addition, is 1 1/2 years old.
There’s never a dull moment when we go boating with them. And I usually share all the fun in a blog post.
More Fun Facts:
- I’m happiest at home, in my garden and anywhere there is water.
- My favorite food is anything with a potato in it!
- I always have to have music on. My favorites include Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, and anything 70’s and 80’s. During the holidays, I only like the oldies Christmas tunes sung by Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra.
- I despise cilantro, cleaning the shower, and mean people.
- My first job was at Nordstrom when I was 16. I worked my way up to a girl’s junior buyer in Alaska, and then in L.A. So I’ve never really figured out why my passion is for home decor, and not fashion.
- A few of my favorite things…fresh-cut flowers throughout my home, throw pillows, a kayak ride, my dogs, summer, twinkle lights, and classic movies.
I’m so excited to share more of my PNW home and garden with you! Welcome and thanks for being here.