Hi! I’m Kim. Thanks for taking the time to visit and find out more about me.
Shiplap and Shells is a blog about my home, garden, and our Pacific Northwest lifestyle.
I live in a small beach cottage on the Puget Sound with my husband and sweet pups, Lucy, Jax, and Ollie. We have spent the last 9 years, renovating, reinventing, and adding character and charm to our 101-year-old home.
And now I’m able to share our “forever” home with you on my blog and on Instagram.
I’ve always had a passion for home decor and creating warm and cozy spaces. But my real love is my cottage-style garden. I really stepped up my game when we built a greenhouse and raised beds over 4 years ago.
Now I grow my own flowers and veggies from seed. Not bad for a girl who knew nothing about gardening when we moved in 9 years ago. Other than pulling a weed or planting annuals in a window box, I was clueless.
I’m a self-taught hobby gardener who is having the time of her life! And if I can inspire someone, or pass on a gardening tip or two along the way…even better! I even have my own Facebook gardening tips and tricks group.
The Dream of Being in a Magazine
The picture above was taken by my husband during a Better Homes and Gardens Cottage Style Magazine & Country Home Magazine photoshoot in the garden.
I started my Shiplap and Shells Instagram account in March 2019 in the hopes that someday a magazine would find it and put my home and garden in one of their issues.
There’s no way to have ever expected to be in 4 magazines by June 2021. It has been the biggest dream come true.
- Cottages and Bungalows Magazine – Fall 2020
- Seattle Refined TV Show – June 2020
- Better Homes and Gardens Cottage Style Magazine – Spring/Summer 2021
- Country Home Magazine – Summer 2021
- The Cottage Journal, Vintage Cottage – 2021
Boating Around the Puget Sound
When we’re not at home, we’re exploring the Puget Sound on our boat. I think of our boat as our second home. It’s been harder to go on trips this past year due to the pandemic, but we usually try to go on a boat trip at least once a month.
We especially love the San Juan Islands in Washington State and Victoria, B.C. Canada.
Lucy, Jax and Ollie
If you haven’t already figured out, I am a proud and happy dog mom to 3 amazing pups. Lucy, our mini dachshund, is almost 15 years old. Jax, our mutt who may have terrier and Havanese in him, is 5. Ollie is a Havanese and is our newest addition, under a year old.
There’s never a dull moment when we go boating with them. And I usually share all the fun in a blog post.
More Fun Facts:
- I’m happiest at home, in my garden and anywhere there is water.
- My favorite food is anything with a potato in it!
- I always have to have music on. My favorites include Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, and anything 70’s and 80’s. During the holidays, I only like the oldies Christmas tunes sung by Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra.
- I despise cilantro, cleaning the shower, and mean people.
- My first job was at Nordstrom when I was 16. I worked my way up to a girl’s junior buyer in Alaska, and then in L.A. So I’ve never really figured out why my passion is for home decor, and not fashion.
- A few of my favorite things…fresh-cut flowers throughout my home, throw pillows, a kayak ride, my dogs, summer, twinkle lights, and classic movies.
I’m so excited to share more of my PNW home and garden with you! Welcome and thanks for being here.