Welcome to Saltwater Sounds, a collection of ideas, tips, and inspiration. This is where I share everything happening in the world of Shiplap and Shells, what’s to come, and the inspiration I’ve found from other bloggers around the web.
This and That…
It was a hot one this past week!
We’re not used to 90°F heat for days in a row. I think the hardest part for me was the fact that it never really cooled down in the evening.
I know there are many of you that might have a hard time feeling sorry for me because you live with the excessive summer heat year after year. I seriously don’t blame you!
What’s the weather looking like for you right now?
What should you do when it’s too hot to enjoy being outside?
After running errands one day, I took a trip to HomeGoods and Marshall’s. I only found a few things but that was perfect. I am really trying the “less is more” approach this year. We’ll see how that goes! Yes, I’m laughing as I write this.
I spent another day in Port Orchard with a good friend shopping for vintage.
Our first stop was the antique mall. There were so many great deals that day.
The next stop was one of my favorite stores for vintage, Josephine’s Mercantile. I always get so many great ideas on how to style things. I love their displays.
I spent the day with some of my friends last Friday. We enjoyed the lake dockside, cooling off on the floaties.
Around the Garden
Not much to report in the garden this week other than the fact that the daisies have all been cut back.
This is the first year I’ve tried growing milkweed by seed. It really is a beautiful addition to my cut flower garden and the pollinators are quite happy.
What I’m Using in My Garden Right Now
- Sluggo for the slugs and snails
- Liquid Fence for the deer and rabbits
- Neem oil and insecticidal soap for pests
- Garden gloves
- Garden journal for taking notes for next year’s garden
- I’m not using the shade covers now but if you’re having excessive heat issues you can check them out.
- Pruning shears
What I’m Loving Right Now
- The newest Antique Candle Co. fragrance…Farmhouse Fig.
- I bought this AFloral fall garland last year after the season and can’t wait to put it on my mantel when I start decorating for fall.
- I know it’s still early for holiday decorating, but this Afloral Real Touch Norfolk Pine Garland was sold out last year when I went to buy them.
- This is the best time to buy outdoor furniture! Check out what Pottery Barn has on sale.
- Check out this over-the-table trellis from Terrain. What a great idea for drying flowers.
From the Blog
Summer may be almost over, but the fall season decorating fun is just beginning. If you’re getting ready to make the home decor transition from summer to fall, here are some easy ways and helpful tips… CONTINUE READING.
Who loves a good road trip to find vintage décor? When I found that Vintage Market Days® was coming to Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, the town next door to where I lived as a kid, I knew I had to go…CONTINUE READING.
My Favorite Inspiration Around the Web This Week
This dreamy Nantucket cottage.
You’ll definitely want to try some of these fall brunch recipes.
Here are some great ideas on how to live simply and efficiently.
You’ll love these primitive fall decorating ideas!
And these simple and charming fall minimalist fall decor ideas.
See how a room can be transformed with board and batten.
See how to craft a DIY sunflower wreath with pinecones.
Learn how to make a fall book page leaf garland.
Here’s an easy peach burrata recipe.
I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment and let me know what you’d like to see on the blog! Thank you for being here.
Until next time,
Wishing a wonderful week ahead,
Other Posts for You to Enjoy
- Simple Tips on How to Dry Hydrangeas for Your Home Decor
- Ultimate Guide to Grow and Care for Hydrangeas for Beginners
- How Your Fallen Autumn Leaves Can Benefit Your Garden Beds
- Dividing Perennials: Your Garden Guide to How, When, and Why
- Fall Fresh Seasonal Home Tour with Cozy Cottage Style Touches
Be sure to follow me @shiplapandshells on the following…
Garden Supplies and Tools
Check out my favorite garden supplies and tools for the growing season. Whether you’re looking for potting soil or deer repellent, you’ll find what I use in my own garden.